SUP - Part 1

This isn't knife related but I think (hope) it will be interesting to document the build and it's success or lack of success!

First off, what's a SUP - it's a Stand Up Paddleboard. I've never used one but I've had a desire to try(!) build a surfboard for a couple of years. I've decided that a SUP will be a bit more forgiving on the construction and shaping than a surfboard for a first build, and I also don't/can't surf either so building a surfboard and knowing what it needs would be even harder.

I've had this desire to make one, just because I can.

It interested me to look into it one day while holidaying with other surfing friends and I thought that it was something that I would like to try.

I've had this niggling thought on it for some time now.

So, after lots and lots of researching what might be possible, I have plans for a 9' SUP..



It has been designed and built by a chap in Australia who was kind enough to send me the pdf of his build.


I have spent a long time trying to source somewhere to buy suitable material for building. Due to the size, postage charges are crazy and it's too far to sensibly drive to collect so I've taken a different route than planned.

So materials and costs as I know them will be added as a running total at the end of each section.

Step 1 was printing those plans above out life size so they could be glued to the wood for cutting. Lots of sheets of A4, lots of slicing and taping!

I acquired some short lengths of hardwood plywood for the ribs of the frame at no cost.



I am concerned that the ply may not be good enough but it's an experiment and on a budget so just going with it!!

Pieces stuck in place.


And then start rough cutting them out on my bandsaw.


My kids like to pop out while I'm in the garage. Work goes slower but it's nice for them to be involved.


I managed to snap my bandsaw blade! I actually need to fit some top blade guides to this bandsaw, hance why rough cutting not actually to shape as the old guides cracked. I suspect this may have anatagonised the snap!


It forced me to switch blade and it was actually a better choice of blade with finer teeth.


A stack of parts!


Next was sanding to final dimensions.

I figured that my disc sander would be the best plan for this as it's a nice wide surface.

However, I have it bolted down to reduce vibrations and also have the belt grinder to the left bolted for the same reason. This meant that with the length of the parts I couldn't get in there!


I tried to add some blocks to make it work but I decided that it was just too annoying withe the movement of all of the bits!!



I decided to swap to my large belt grinder and this actually really well.

I had a helper pop back out for this part!



-------------

Current cost:

Ribs - plywood - £0

Stewart

No comments:

Post a Comment